Thursday, May 24, 2012

S.O.S. Kits

I can't believe that summer break is here already! Tomorrow is the last day of school for kids in our area. I am excited for the break, but sad at the same time that Kenneth is finishing up his final days of jr high. We have a tradition that we do something fun to celebrate the last day of school. Kenneth gets to pick the activity....I am not sure what that will be yet, I just know it includes going out to eat. I will have to post more details after tomorrow's adventure.

I wanted to do something fun this year for my young women too. After talking with the other leaders we came up with the idea of doing a "Summer of Service". We put together little kits that I will deliver to each young woman tomorrow as soon as school is out.
Thanks to Steph at www.somewhatsimple.com for allowing us to use the cute journal label!
And a big THANKS to my friend, Jessica, for all of her cute ideas!!!


We challenged them to do an act of service every day this summer. There is a journal included for them to record what they are doing each day. The letter explains why the other things were included in the kit. For example...."Remember, it is always KOOL to AID others."  


Plus, we wanted to congratulate them on finishing another year of school!
These were fun and really simple to make.


I love all the fun ideas that I found via Pinterest!


I am so excited to deliver these tomorrow!!

7 comments:

  1. That is so cute, & creative! I hope it goes really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to do this for my scouts this year - is there any way I can get a list from you of everything you put into them, where you found the bags, etc? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - I found the bags at Wal-Mart in the party section. The were about $1 each. Here is the list of what was in each bag:
    Water gun
    Journal with SOS label
    Water Balloons
    Laffy Taffy
    Jolly Ranchers
    Bubbles
    Kool-aid
    Glowsticks
    Starburst
    Smarties
    Swedish Fish
    We also included a letter with instructions. I would be happy to send a copy to you if you leave me you email.

    Good luck!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent idea and one I'd like to share with my girl scout troop. Can you email me the letter and instructions? My email is nheckerthorne at gmail dot com. Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! I have a girl scout troop and I'd love to give an SOS kit to each of them at the end of this year. Would you mind emailing me the letter, instructions and what service ideas you listed for them? I would so appreciate it! priya at priya dot com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Love this! Could you email me all the details as well as the list of service ideas?? We have our end of year ceremony on the 18th and I've been debating ideas on what to give them. poopsee77@yahoo.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I just became a scout leader this year and this is absolutely perfect for my girls! Could you send me a copy of the letter that went along with the goody bag? Thank you so much in advance! Love the creativity!

    ReplyDelete